Ian LyngklipSenior Attorney
Phone: (248) 208-8864
Toll Free: (888) 400-2733
13751 W Eleven Mile Rd
Oak Park, Michigan 48237
Attorney Ian B. Lyngklip graduated summa cum laude from the University of Detroit Mercy Law School and began practicing law in 1992. Since 1995, Mr. Lyngklip has focused his practice on consumer matters, and litigated those cases primarily in the federal court system since 2000. He graduated from the Trial Lawyers College in August, 2011.
Ian is a current member of the State Bar of Michigan's Consumer Law Section and has served as Council Member from 1997 to 2001, and Chairperson in 2000. Mr. Lyngklip is also a member of the National Association of Consumer Advocates, serving on the Board of Directors from 2004 to 2010. He was also co-chair of the board from 2005 to 2009.
Ian's list of awards includes the NACA Consumer Advocate of the Year for 2003, the Frank Kelly Consumer Advocate Award for 2004, and the Oakland County Bar Association Pro Bono Service Award for 2005.
Ian Lyngklip is a nationally recognized speaker on credit reporting, debt collection, and auto financing issues. He has spoken by invitation numerous times before the Federal Trade Commission and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Ian also has extensive experience teaching and providing training with groups including the Michigan Poverty Law Center, National Consumer Law Center, National Association of Consumer Advocates, Michigan Judicial Institute, the State Bar of Arizona, the Missouri bar, the Florida Bar, and the Institute for Continuing Legal Education. He has conducted training of consumer advocates around the country and has trained judges and legislators within the State of Michigan and the consumer defense bar.
Ian has been published over a dozen times, including How to Write Like a Trial Lawyer for Warrior, the publication of the Trial Lawyer's Collect; The Michigan Consumer Protection Act is Virtually Dead Yet the Legislature, Executive Branch, and Many Attorneys Don't Seem to Know It for the Michigan Bar Journal; and Top 5 Mistakes of General Practitioners in Handling Identity Thefts and Credit Reporting Disputes for the Ingham County Bar Associate Briefs. He is also a contributing author to the National Consumer Law Center's Fair Credit Reporting Manual.
J.D., University of Detroit Mercy Law School, 1992
summa cum laude
Trial Lawyers College, 2011
State Bar of Michigan
Consumer Law Section
National Association of Consumer Advocates
Board of Directors 2004 - 2010
Co-chair of the board 2005 - 2009
- Drafting FCRA Dispute Letters, Ian Lyngklip. Consumer Law Newsletter, June 2017.
- A Primer on the Michigan Lemon Law and Magnuson Moss Warranty Act, 2017, Gary Victor and Ian Lyngklip. October 2017. Michigan Bar Journal, co-author with Gary M. Victor.
- TCPA Causes of Action, ICLE February 2015-2018.
- Preventing Credit Damage in Divorce Cases, Ian Lyngklip and Gary Victor. Michigan Bar Journal, March 2014.
- How to Write Like a Trial Lawyer, Ian Lyngklip. Warrior, the publication of the Trial Lawyer's College,. Spring 2013
- The Michigan Consumer Protection Act is Virtually Dead Yet the Legislature, Executive Branch, and Many Attorneys Don't Seem to Know It. Michigan Bar Journal, August 2012.
- From Statutes to Stories. Warrior, the publication of the Trial Lawyer's College. Spring 2012.
- Debt Collector Liability Under the FDCPA for Failure to Note a Consumer Dispute Before Transfer to Next Collector, Julie Petrik. Michigan Consumer Law Section Newsletter, April 2008, Volume 12, No. 1.
- Remedies for Identity Theft Victims: Strategies for Protecting and Preserving Clients' Rights Ian Lyngklip and Gary Victor. Michigan Bar Journal, October 2006, Volume 85, No. 10.
- Topical Summary of Consumer Protection Statutes Applicable in Proceedings In Michigan Courts, Ian Lyngklip. Presented to the Michigan Judicial Institute, March 29, 2004.
- Trade Secrets, Protective Orders and the Smoking Gun. The Consumer Advocate, Volume 9 Issue 4, October 2003.
- Top 5 Mistakes of general practitioners in handling identity thefts and credit reporting disputes. Ingham County Bar Associate Briefs, October 2003
- The Court of Appeals Provides Guidance Interpreting Potential Violations of the MCPA. Consumer Law Newsletter, Volume 4 No. 1, January 2000.
- Motor Vehicle Repair Fees and the Consumer, Ian Lyngklip. Consumer Law Newsletter, Volume 2 No. 2, June 1998.
- Civil RICO and Environmental Harms. University of Detroit Law Review, 1992.
- Courts of the State of Michigan as of November 17, 1992.
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, November 23, 1992.
- United States District Court, Western District of Michigan, September 20, 2000.
- United States District Court, Western District of Oklahoma, March 4, 2011.
- United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio, July 6, 2011.
- United States District Court, District of Connecticut, September 16, 2011.
- United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois, February 16, 2012.
- United States District Court, District of Colorado, December 2, 2015.
- United States District Court, Western District of New York, December 15, 2015.
- United States District Court, Northern District of Indiana, September 11, 2018.
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, September 25, 2001.
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, November 15, 2011.
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, February 6, 2017.