Super Lawyers
State Bar of Michigan
Thunderhead Ranch

How to Request Your Credit Report

You have a Right to Request a Copy of Your Credit Report

The federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) gives consumers the right to receive free copies of their consumer reports and to dispute any inaccuracies. There are four major credit bureaus that provide these credit reports: Experian, Equifax, Innovis, and TransUnion. You have the right to receive a copy of your credit report from each of these three credit bureaus on an annual basis and to dispute any errors that you find. There are a number of reasons allowing your to get a free copy of your credit report. If you don't know whether your are entitled to a free copy, you can email us through this site or call (888) 400-CREDIT | (888) 400-2733 to get help

Order by Mail

Even though it may seem more convenient and quicker to order over the web, you should only order your reports by mail. Consumers who order over the web are subject to risks that mail requests don't have. (Check our posts on Ordering Your Report and Ordering Your Report by Phone) Most importantly, when you order by mail, you should use a delivery verification services like "registered mail" or "return receipt request" so that you have proof of mailing and receipt. This will insure that you have proof of the request if the credit bureaus refuse to send the report. If you need help with your mail request for your credit report, you can email us through this site or call (888) 400-CREDIT | (888) 400-2733 to get help

Include Proper Identification

One of the most common, and frustrating, experiences of consumers is that the credit bureaus refuse to provide a copy of the report without adequate identification. Federal law allows the credit bureaus to refuse a request for reports if they have reason to believe that an imposter has requested the report. And because these disclosures can take up to 30 days to return from the bureaus, sending the proper identification can significantly cut the time needed to obtain the reports and begin any necessary disputes.You can shortcut this problem by including identification with your report request. Sufficient identification should include:

  • Government Issued Photo ID (drivers license, passport, or personal identification card).
  • Current bank or credit card statement showing your current address.
  • Social Security Card.
  • Utility bill (phone, gas, cable, or wireless).

By including this information in your initial request, your reduce the chance that a credit bureau will refuse to provide a copy of your disclosure. If you need a copy of letters request reports, see our sample letters and requests. If you don't know how much or what identification to include in your request, you can email us through this site or call (888) 400-CREDIT | (888) 400-2733 to get help

Keep a Copy of Your Request

After you have drafted your request and assembled the necessary support documents, sign your request letter and make a photocopy. Even after you have gone to the trouble of assembling all the necessary documentation, the credit bureaus may still not send your report. If so, you will need a copy of your request to enforce your rights. Make sure to keep a copy of all the supporting documents along with the letter. Keep an electronic copy of this this request with your other credit reporting materials. If you don't know how to organize your credit file, you can email us through this site or call (888) 400-CREDIT | (888) 400-2733 to get help.

What if They Don't Send the Report

The FCRA requires that that the credit bureaus provide a copy of your report, once a year, for free. If the credit bureau refuses to give you a copy of your report, you have the right to sue for damages. Once consumer in Georgia tried unsuccessfully to get their report from a credit bureau. Even though that consumer provided enough information to identify them to establish their identity, the credit bureau still refused. That consumer was ultimately able to recover a jury verdict in their favor for the refusal. If you have already followed the steps in this article, you may be ready to enforce your rights by bringing a lawsuit against the credit bureau. email us through this site or call (888) 400-CREDIT | (888) 400-2733 to find out if we can help.

How We Can Help You

No matter where you are in the request process and how much help you need, Lyngklip & Associates is ready. If you need help drafting your own request letter, you can use our self help request letters or you can call us to help coach you through the process. If you have already finished your request letters and saved copies, you may be ready to file a lawsuit. Lyngklip & Associates, Michigan consumer law attorneys, offer free consultations to those who are struggling to get their credit report. Call us at (248) 208-8864 orcomplete our online form to schedule a consultation.

How Much Are Your Fees?

If you win your credit reporting lawsuit, the other side must pay your attorneys' fees. This means that the credit bureaus and financial institutions that withheld your credit report must pay your lawyer to help fix the problem. Lyngklip & Associates, only charges consumers if we are able to recover for them, and our fees are paid for out of the recovery. Consumers never pay up front fees and there is no charge for your initial consultation. Call (888) 400-CREDIT | (888) 400-2733 today review your case or contact us through this site for a call back.