Super Lawyers
Avvo - Badge
Pro Bono Circle of Excellence
ThunderHead Ranch
NACA - Badge
Yelp - Badge

Credit Reporting Error FAQs

Common Cases

You may have a case under the Fair Credit Reporting Act if you notice the following things on your background report:

  • Fraudulent identity theft accounts on your credit credit report.
  • Someone else’s Information on your credit report.
  • Paid accounts still showing a balance due.
  • Reporting your accounts in good standing as charged off or in collections.
  • Discharged debts still reporting as owed.
  • Paid tax lies showing as still owed.
  • Derogatory accounts more than 7 years old still on your report.
  • Previously deleted accounts that have been reinserted on your report.
  • Duplicate reporting of the same account.

If you would like help with one of these problems, call (888) 400-CREDIT | (888) 400-2733 or contact us through this site.

Follow Up and Monitoring

After your case is done, we will help you to regularly check and monitor your background checks with free annual reviews of your background checks and credit reports to insure that you stay free of false conviction information.

Work with a Credit Report Attorney

If you have been the subject of an inaccurate credit report, you may have be able to seek a correction and compensation for any harm. Our firm can help. For more than 25 years, the attorneys of Lyngklip & Associates have represented victims of bogus credit reports credit reports and been a resource for Michigan consumers who need the help of an experienced lawyer.

To learn more or to schedule a free initial consultation with a credit report lawyer, contact our law firm today or call (888) 400-CREDIT | (888) 400-2733 or contact us through this site. In Michigan, you can reach our office at (248) 208-8864.

How Many Credit Bureaus Have Information About Me?

More than you think. Most people are familiar with the big three credit bureaus, but there are many more. Most of these other credit bureaus maintain databases of specialized information that does not appear on a traditional credit report. For instance, several credit bureaus specialize in collecting data concerning payday and internet loans. Another group of credit bureaus maintains a information only about bank accounts. Others collect data about employment and insurance. Some of these bureaus are small and local, while others maintain data on a nationwide basis. For a list of the most common credit reporting agencies, you can check the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s annual list.
Back to top

How Do I Get a Copy of My Credit Report?

All credit reporting agencies are required to provide a free report to consumers on an annual basis. Additionally, if you have been the victim of an identity theft, the credit bureaus are required to provide a copy of your report for free, even if you have recently received your free annual report. You can order your copy by writing and mailing your request, ordering online, or requesting by phone. We recommend that you only request by mail. You can find copies of letters to order your reports from a number of difference credit bureaus on our resource page.
Back to top

Why Shouldn’t I Order My Report Online?

Even though ordering your report online is more convenient than waiting for the mail, online ordering presents substantial risks that do not arise with a mailed request. For a number of years, the credit bureaus have required consumers who order online to agree to their terms of service — that click through button that says “I agree.” These same credit bureaus have buried mandatory arbitration clauses and other waivers of consumers’ rights in these multipage terms of use dialogue boxes. Even if were possible to read these terms of use, most of the are written in legalese that is not understandable by most consumers. Just say no to these terms and order your credit reports by mail. All your rights will remain intact. If you would like more information about the dangers of ordering online, you can see our article on Ordering Credit Reports Online.
Back to top

How Do I Correct an Error on My Credit Report?

If you notice an error in your credit report you should immediately write a dispute letter to your credit bureau. Your credit dispute should be direct and have all the information necessary for a credit reporting agency to understand that they have put false information on your report. For instructions, you can read our article on how to write a credit dispute, click here. You can also download our sample dispute letter on our resource page.
Back to top

What Kinds of Errors Can I Ask to Correct on My Credit Report?

You can dispute and request correction of any information that appears in your credit file and can be sold by the credit bureau. Most commonly, these items include,

  • Incorrect names.
  • False addresses.
  • Information about accounts, including the balance, payment history, and whether it is yours at all.
  • False public records.
  • Inquiries into your credit file that were not authorized by law.
Back to top

What Are the Most Common Errors on Credit Reports?

  • Reported as deceased.
  • Reinsertion of information that was previously removed.
  • Identity theft accounts that the consumer never opened.
  • Someone else’s accounts on the consumer’s report.
  • Duplicate entries of the same account.
  • Mortgage Short Sales
  • Debts that were discharged in bankruptcy showing as still owning or open.
  • Someone else’s conviction or public record on the consumer’s report.
  • Wrong names and addresses.
  • Released tax liens showing as still owed.
  • Derogatory accounts that are more than 7 years old.
  • Accounts that have been transferred to collectors showing a false date of first delinquency.
Back to top

What if the Credit Bureau Rejects My Dispute and Verifies the False Information?

You have two choices now. First, if your dispute was rejected based on a reason that you can correct — such as you need to provide identification — then you can write another dispute letter and correct the problem. In some cases, you may need to write several letters back and forth with the credit bureaus before you are able to get an item removed. Second, if you have written several dispute letters and you still can’t get the credit bureaus to remove the false information, you are probably at the end of the road for self help, and it is time to get a credit reporting attorney involved to bring a lawsuit. If you need help figuring out whether it is time to involve and attorney, you can call us for a consultation at (888) 400-CREDIT or hit send us a message through this site.
Back to top

Should I Apply for Credit if There Is False Information on My Credit Report?

If your report contains inaccurate information from an identity theft or some other error by a credit reporting agency, you should not allow that fact to influence your decision to apply. Victims of false credit reporting should live their life as if no one is going to lie about them. Don’t avoid asking for credit and don’t apply for credit which you do not want or need. You can find more information about credit denials in our articles 5 Steps After a Credit Denial and Applying for Credit After Identity Theft.
Back to top

What Additional Resources Are Available?

Back to top

How Much Are Your Fees?

We only charge a fee if we are able to recover for you, and The Fair Credit Reporting Act requires the other side to pay your attorney’s fees if you win. You pay nothing up front and we take our fee from the other side.
Back to top

Client Reviews

Attorney and Senior Paralegal Brandy, is Very professional and knowledgeable. She really went the extra mile, answering all of my questions in depth, and helped put my mind at ease. I highly recommend this law firm


Received a response in less than 24 hours; the attorney who called me was very patient, kind, and helpful. She listened carefully to my situation and explained the law to me in terms I could understand, including advice on how I might proceed. Many thanks!


Today, I stumbled across this law firm on the internet looking to have some questions answered for a pressing consumer protection situation. Brandy Moore an eartly angel and senior paralegal answered my questions. She was professional, knowledgable, polite and empathtic toward my situation. If I...


Contact Us

  1. 1 Free Consultation
  2. 2 No Fees Unless You Win
  3. 3 Phone and Zoom Consultation Available

Fill out the contact form or call us at (888) 400-CREDIT or (888) 400-2733 to schedule your free consultation.

Leave Us a Message