Super Lawyers
State Bar of Michigan
Thunderhead Ranch

Discharged Debts Still on Your Credit Report

Discharged Debts Are Still on My Credit Report

For most people, filing for a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy may be the most difficult decision they ever have to make. At the end of that process, the Court's discharge should mean an end to the debt that caused the bankruptcy. But many creditor refuse to change their credit reporting to reflect the discharge. Instead they continue to report the same balance as before, or they refuse to update the status of the debt to reflect that the debt has been discharged in its entirety. This usually occurs because the creditor has simply stopped their reporting after notice of the bankruptcy instead of affirmatively making the necessary changes. The consequence for most consumers is that the same data that appeared on their report before a bankruptcy will continue to appear after the discharge is issued.

This false reporting harms many consumers and it is illegal.

Get the Fresh Start that You Were Promised

Even though bankruptcy promises a fresh start, the continued reporting of discharged debt after bankruptcy can keep you from the benefits of that new beginning. After a bankruptcy, undischarged debt can signal problems to new creditors and depress your credit score beyond what you might expect for a bankruptcy. Our Michigan attorneys are ready the help consumers send the necessary noticed to your creditors and the credit bureaus, and sue to get your reports corrected.

If you need discharged accounts from your bankruptcy removed from your credit reports and contact us now for a free consultation or call (248) 208-8864.

Your Attorney's Fees Paid by Your Creditors and the Credit Bureaus

State and federal law provide victims of false credit reports with the right to attorney's fees for restoring their credit. If your creditors or the credit bureaus have refused to correct your credit reports after your discharge, any attorney fees you are paid by the other side, and we charge nothing unless we can get a recover for you. There is no charge to you for your initial consultation. Email us for a free review of your Michigan bankruptcy discharge problem.

Follow Up and Monitoring

After your case is done and your report has been corrected, we will help you to regularly check and monitor your credit report to make sure you get your fresh start and no new problems appear with a free annual review of your bureau reports. If you don't know how to get your reports, we can help you get them. And if you just need a little help reading the information, our attorneys are ready to walk you through your reports to insure that you stay free of debt that you discharged in your bankruptcy.

Common Cases

You may have a case under the Fair Credit Reporting Act if you notice the following things on your background report:

  • Fraudulent identity theft accounts on your credit credit report.
  • Someone else's Information on your credit report.
  • Paid accounts still showing a balance due.
  • Reporting your accounts in good standing as charged off or in collections.
  • Discharged debts still reporting as owed.
  • Paid tax lies showing as still owed.
  • Derogatory accounts more than 7 years old still on your report.
  • Previously deleted accounts that have been reinserted on your report.
  • Duplicate reporting of the same account.

If you would like help with one of these problems, call (888) 400-CREDIT | (888) 400-2733 or contact us through this site.

Work with a Michigan Bankruptcy Discharge Lawyer

If you have discharged debt on your credit report in Michigan after your bankruptcy, our qualified credit reporting lawyer can you prepare and file a case to correct your reports, and give you the fresh start you hoped for. For more than 20 years, the law firm of Lyngklip & Associates has represented victims of false credit reports and been a resource for Michigan consumers who need to correct they credit bureau reports.

To learn more or to schedule a free initial consultation with a Michigan credit reporting lawyer, contact our law firm today or call (888) 400-CREDIT | (888) 400-2733. In Michigan, you can reach our office at (248) 208-8864.