We love to co-counsel cases. It gives us the opportunity expand our skills, learn new techniques, and share cutting-edge technology. Please send us a description of the case you'd like help with, and we will be in contact shortly.
Co-Counsel With Us
Our Mission and Teamwork
We love to co-counsel cases with attorneys who share our values and our passion for protecting consumers. Over the years we have co-counseled cases with dozens of firms and developed a proven process to work with other firms. That process enhances our ability to exceed our clients' expectations, obtain great results, and build lasting relationships.
We have committed ourselves to actively seeking out co-counsel in every major case within our office and to build new relationships every day. Our vision is to leave both firms looking for the next opportunity to work together.
Assembling the Winning Team
In every co-counseling relationship, each team and member bring something to the table. We view co-counseling as an opportunity to improve the overall quality of the team and look for complementary skills that can improve the likelihood of success for the client or class. This collaborative environment places more assets and talents at the team's disposal. This team approach to litigation yields better results and less risk for all.
Beyond the immediate benefits to the case, co-counseling provides a unique opportunity to acquire and share skills. Working closely with another firm allows each to see cases from a new perspective and use different skills. Each firm that shares work product and process receives feedback from trusted peers, providing the opportunity to improve upon their existing practice.
Our team starts off every day with a team meeting developing our skills together in a collaborative group process. That experience has primed us to work with other firms, and we treat every firm as an extension of our team, and every co-counseled case as an opportunity to grow. Rising tides lift all ships, and we are committed to insuring that each firm leave a co-counseled case smarter, stronger and more prepared to handle the next case.
Building Strong Relationships
Relationships and a strong of network resources are our stock in trade. Every co-counseled case represents an opportunity to extend that network, adding to our resilience and capabilities. By sharing our processes, solutions, and cases we continue to strengthen the firms in our network. This approach insures access to the resources and capabilities to help us to meet whatever challenges any case may present.
The Keys to Good Co-Counsel Relationships
After years of work and dozens of co-counseled cases, we believe that we have identified the keys to a good co-counsel relationship. When considering co-counseling, look for these at the outset:
- Resources that can improve the outcome of the case.
- Common Case Objectives.
- Shared Values and Interests.
- Clearly Defined Expectations for Work and Fees.
- Strong Communication.
- Contribution of Value.
Our Co-Counsel Process
- Initiation – Co-counseling can arise when either we ask another firm to join us in a case on behalf of one of our clients, or when another firm asks us to help in representing one of their clients. In either event, we will follow this same process to insure a successful collaboration.
- Agreement -- If the firms agree that co-counseling is proper, we will draft a co-counsel agreement and circulate that agreement for review. This agreement sets forth expectations for compensation, allocation of work, and communications between the firms. After both sides agree, all firms involved must sign.
- Client Consent -- If our firm has already established an attorney-client relationship with the Plaintiff, we will discuss the co-counseling agreement with the client and secure the client's consent to have the other firm assist in the representation and any fee split. If we are asked to join a case, we ask that our partners secure the client's consent for the agreement and fee split.
- Kickoff Call – After we secure agreement from all parties for the co-counsel arrangement, we schedule a kickoff call to assign specific tasks and generate a timeline for commencement of the suit. During this call, we establish the lead counsel in each firm responsible for communications between the firms and set up any technological resources necessary to manage the litigation, set deadlines, and handle discovery on both side of the litigation.
- Sharing Resources -- Throughout the litigation, we will make all of our firm's resources available to our co-counsel and review whether those resources can further the progress of the case. As the case moves through the litigation process, we will share our processes and checklists with co-counsel and request that they review our process and approve of its use. If our co-counsel proposes any modifications, we will work out any revisions and then work through the checklist.
- Communication and Planning – Once we are under way with the litigation, we hold a regular (weekly or biweekly) status call to allow for full and open communication regarding case strategy and proper delegation of tasks. This will ensure that all issues are addressed and resolved in a collaborative process.
Our Co-Counsel Agreement
Do you share our values and vision? If you would like to work with us, please review our co-counsel agreement.